Alex can be booked to deliver a screening and discussion of his award-winning documentary My Name Was January,
When a trans sister, January Marie Lapuz, is brutally murdered in her own home, her community reacts and her friends and other trans women of colour come to share and voice their issues, concerns, and challenges. January was seen as a bright light in the lives of many. This is the story of January, a friend, a daughter, a person. This film will not only bring justice to January, but to all the women who have lost their lives. January had a beautiful soul, and now part of her soul rests in each and every one of us.
FILM FESTIVAL CIRCUIT
My Name Was January has won 14 international awards and garnered 63 official selections at film festivals around the world. The film screened in 11 countries and entered the Canadian Screen Awards for Best Short Documentary in 2020.
For more information on My Name Was January check out the Official Website, Press Kit, and Discussion Guide below:
To make a booking or for further information please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Previous Speaking Engagements
- Cross Border Conference – Surrey Teacher’s Association, North Surrey Secondary School
- Panelist, Metro Vancouver Premiere of My Name Was January, SFU Surrey – Department of Gender, Sexuality, and Women’s Studies
- Guest Speaker, Health Sciences Association (HSA) Social Justice Day, New Westminster, B.C.
- Panelist – History of LGBTQ+ Activism in Surrey, Department of History, SFU Surrey
- SOWK 320 – Anti-Racist and Cross-Cultural Social Work Knowledge and Practice, University of the Fraser Valley, Abbotsford, B.C.
- GSWS 1101 – Contemporary Issues in Gender, Sexualities, and Women’s Studies, Douglas College, New Westminster, B.C.
- SOCI 2240 – Women In Society, Douglas College, New Westminster, B.C.
- Featured Presenter, UBC Student Leadership Conference, University of British Columbia
- Social Justice 12, North Delta Secondary School
- Social Justice 12, Langley Education Centre
- Tamanawis Secondary School, Surrey, B.C.
- Telling Our Stories, George Mackie Library, Delta, B.C.